This is the most densely populated neighborhood of the Kotor municipality. It stretches out from Kotor on south, to river Ljuta on north, which actually represents the northern border of the municipality of Kotor, for some 7 km. This settlement is mentioned for the first time in 1260, in an inscription of Archive of Kotor, as Dabrathum, later Dobrota.
Among many cultural monuments and remains from Illyrian and Roman period, we must mention the church of St. Elijah ( Sveti Ilija, 12 vijek, Свети Илија 12 вијек), erected in 12th century, situated nearby the Biological Institute.
The church of St. Matia is also situated in Dobrota (Доброта). This church was built in 1670, on the fundament of a former medieval church. It was built in baroque style. The most valuable works of art in this church are two marble altars and the famous painting “Our Lady With Child”, work of Giovanni Belini.
The church of St. Eustace was erected in 1773. This church was also built in baroque style, containing altars that belonged to the famous families from Dobrota. This church preserves the paintings of artists like Paolo Veronese, Frank Potenza, Carlo Dolci, and others… Particularly interesting is a collection of 52 pieces of lacework dating from 17th and 18th century.
There are several small churches in Ljuta but they are not active anymore.
Dobrota reached the height of glory in the 17th and 19th century. In that time Dobrota had the greatest number of ships in the entire Boka Bay. Dobrota was given the rank of maritime town in 1717, which does not mean that even before did not have a maritime tradition.
In that time were built the illustrious mansions of families Dabinovic, Tripkovic, Ivanovic, Radonicic, etc…
The settlement Ljuta is situated in the heart of Boka Bay, on northern side of Kotor. It’s about 7 km away from Kotor. In its centre, there is a baroque church dedicated to St. Peter, which stands on a raised and enclosed pave plateau, almost by the seashore. It is built of ashlar transported from Korcula (Korčula, Корчула). According to archive sources, the construction works took several decades and were finished in 1780.
The year and a mention of the patron saint are chiseled on the west facade. The interior consist of a spacious nave covered with a ceiling and a somewhat narrower altar space which square in plan and vaulted; via ribs, the vaulting resists on the corner pilasters. such layout is reminiscent of Our Lady of Rocks of Perast that obviously served as an example to the masons.
There are three marble altars in St Peter’s Church. The principal one has a pala d’altare depicting the titular saint with angels.
The south altar, donated by Captain Luka Radimir, is dedicated to St. Luke and bears a representation of a group of holy personages. Both paintings have come from a member of the artistic circle around the Venetian master Fonte Basso. The north altar has an icon of the Virgin with Child, in a silver icon-cover, which belongs to the so-called Hodgetaira type. The icon is especially venerated by the townsmen of Ljuta due to a vow given during the 1855 cholera epidemic.
The altar itself was donated by the Dabinović family who was respectable seamen and carried out in 1803 by Michele Girardi, a not-so-renowned artist from Venice.
This small location is situated on the north of Kotor Municipality, separated from Dobrota by the river Ljuta. Traditionally, this is a maritime and fishing village. In the past, this village was the birthplace of many famous captains and it had a fleet of 28 ships.
Above the village, there is a church of St. George, containing the frescos from the 15th and 16th century. The iconostasis is the work of local artist Spiro Djuranovic.
There is no so small place which gives so many famous sailors such as Dražin vrt, a village with fifteen houses, which is situated on the route to Perast, and also, there are no so many rare families with a large number of famous shipmasters such as the family Vukasovic. Among the famous shipmasters from this family, very successful navigators, soldiers, and writers, we can mention Miloš Vukasovic, who was a maritime architect, and who built one of the most beautiful ships in Argentina, from 1870 to 1908.
Perast is situated opposite the Verige strait, on a foothill of the mount Kason. The remains found in the cave Spila, near Perast, testify to the early human presence on this territory. The town had been named after the Ilirian tribe Pirusta and had a very rich history. This small baroque city was at its peak in the 17th and the 18th century. At that time, Perast had a merchant fleet of around 100 ships.
On the island of St. George there is a small church, erected in the 17th century and an old cemetery where most of the seafarer from Perast was buried.
The island of Madonna of Skrpjela has been artificially built by piling stones over a sea rock. The church had been erected in 1630 and contains a large collection of silver plates with relief showing the development of seafaring life in Boka Bay. The interior of the church is decorated with 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolja, one of the most famous baroque painters, originally from Perast. On the right altar, there is a painting of St. Roko, the artwork of Italian painter Tiepolo.
The edifice connected to the church contains a small museum with a magnificent collection of paintings.
There are also several beautiful mansions in Perast that belonged to ancient local families.
Risan (Рисан) is the oldest settlement in Boka Bay. Risan dates back to the 3rd century BC and it had been the capital of the Illyrian state. According to the legend, the Illyrian queen Teuta took refuge in this town under the invasion of Romans. In Risan there were discovered the remains of he roman mosaics dating from 2th and 3th century AC.
In the central part of the mosaic is represented the deity of dreams Hypnos – the only known image of this kind on the eastern shore of the Adriatic.
Risan is one of the biggest archealogical location in our country, specially the part situated opposite to the hotel „Teuta“ called Carine.
The church of St. Petar and Pavle, also situated in Risan, was erected in the18th century.
Near Risan there is the Monastery Banja which has a large collection of ikons, of the local painting school Dimitrije Daskal – Dimitrijevic. This monastery was built in 18th century.
Not so far from Risan there is a place called Lipci, known by the prehistoric draws painted on the rock. This rock paintings were made back in iron age, in 800 BC.
On the road, 8 km from Risan, is situated Morinj, which is developed in one of the bigggest fishing village on the west coast of Kotor Bay.
On the road, 8 km from Risan, is situated Morinj, which is developed in one of the biggest fishing villages on the west coast of Kotor bay.
It is a very old maritime place which residents took part in many battles on sea and also in maritime labors which were opening new trading ways, but also they managed to open the school which was on national languages, such as the school in this village, established in 1803.
In 1843. in Morinj was starting with work the library. In this place, with their abilities and labors in maritime battles, it is very important to mention The family Milinovic, and also the captain Tomo Đurov Milinovic(1770-1846), who was famous for his affairs, because he was a cannon-founder and also he was a leader in the rebellion of Serbian leader Karadjordje.
The event which makes this place very special among the tourist destinations is “Wedding in Morinj”.
Kostanjica is situated in a green oasis of chestnut, by whom it was named. It is a place of sailors and fishermen, with very preserved traditional physiognomy on this location. Kostanjica possesses a lot of laurel flounders, which its residents collect very laboriously, and after that reproduce essential oils, usually for foreign markets, which is very important for the tourist promotion of this place in the world.
Kostanjica is the last location in this part of the coast of Bay of Boka In Kotor Municipality.
Stoliv is situated on the northeastern side of hill Vrmac, opposite to Perast. The upper village is situated in the chestnut forest on a 240 m of altitude. This part of the village preserved its original physiognomy. Today this part of Stoliv has only 15 habitants because most of the people have moved away to downtown. In the center of the village is situated the church of St. Eliah.
Stoliv was given the rank of maritime town in 1721. In this part of Boka grow many types of fruits and flowers, especially the camellia by whom Stoliv became famous. In this part of the village is situated the church of St. Maria with a few paintings of Slovenian artist Josip Tominc.
Prcanj (Prčanj, Прчанј) is situated on the eastern side of hill Vrmac, opposite to Dobrota. It’s present appearance got during the 16th, 17th and 18th century. Among the oldest cultural monuments are included the church of St. Toma situated in upper part of the village, erected in 9th century. Today, this church is not active.
Near this church there is also a church of St. Ivan, erected in 1221. Particularly interesting is the mansion called „Tre sorrele“ (three sisters), a unique edifice built in the 15th century. This mansion was the property of noble family Buca. There is a legend connected to this mansion about a tragic love of three sisters who were in love with the same sailor.
Prčanj reached the highest point in its development in the 18th century. Prcanj was given the rank of maritime town in the 17th century, with all the benefits that it brings.
A naval captain, originally from Perast was the first person from this territory who circumnavigated the world with his ship called „Splendido“.
The most attractive monument is parish church which is withal the biggest structure on this part of Adriatic coast. The construction of the church started in 1789., and it was finished in 1908. The church was built in renaissance-baroque style, it preserves the paintings of local artists like Tomo Rosandic, Milo Milunovic, etc…
In this village is also situated a special hospital „Vrmac“ specialized in treating asthma and allergies.
is the old fishing village, situated on southeastern side of hill Vrmac, opposite to Kotor and south part of Dobrota.
The inhabitants of this village were fishermans, but they were poor and they could not invest in building religious facilities.
A number of churches and a monastery are located in this area. The monastery Podlastva is not only a religious monument, but also a historical symbol of Grbalj (Грбаљ). Many significant decisions were made in this church.
Nowadays, it is inhabited fishing place and a port. It is famous for the healing sand, which is found at the very end of Bigovo valley, and for a rocky beach, fine fish and fishing fiests.
Bigovo Valley belongs to the locality of Donji Grbalj between Budva and Tivat. It is deeply pulled in the dry land and for such a position it used to be a fishing port which the fishermen used as their shelter from the storm. Nowadays, it is inhabited fishing place and a port. It is famous for the healing sand, which is found at the very end of Bigovo valley, and for a rocky beach, fine fish and fishing fiests.