Perast (Пераст) is situated 12 km west from Kotor (Котор) and epresents the best preserved baroque area in the Adriatic (Jadran, Jadransko more, Јадран, Јадранско море). The town reached the highest point in it’s development in the 17th and 18th century along with the strengthening of it’s own navy. At that time the most beautiful buildings arose in this fortified town. The palaces of the famous naval captains from this area belong to the baroque style and they were built at the time of the navigation flourished. The most famous of them are: The Bujovic from the year 1693, The Zmajevic, Badovica and Smekia.
The most prominent cultural monuments are:
– The Church of St. George’s (Crkva Svetog Đorđa, Црква Светог Ђорђа)
– The Parsons Church
– The Lady of The Rocks (Gospa od Škrpjela, Госпа од Шкрпјела)
– The Church of St.George’s is founded in the period from 15th -17th century. It has a rich church treasure.
The Parsons Church, whose building started in the year 1740, by the project of the Venetian architect Gisele Beati. Only the belfry and apse were built whereas the shape of the church as a whole is known thanks to well-preserved wooden schemes.
The St. George’s church erased up in the islet in front of Perast. It belonged to the Benedictine moister built in the 12th century.
The Lady of The Rocks, the baroque church built in the year 1630, in the artificial islet in front of Perast, in which there was the small chapel in 1452. It owns a rich museum with a collection of paintings of the famous Italian artist. The church has been decorated with 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolja a painter from Perast the most famous name of our baroque painting art from the end of the 17th century.